I am a Distributed Systems Engineer from Germany.
Born in 1989, after my A-Levels and military service in 2010, I worked for several years as a freelance software developer, mainly creating web and database applications in the area of personal management, marketing, photography, and logistics. After my bachelor thesis in 2014, I started to work in academia at Chair of Informatics 2 in the Theory of Hybrid Systems Group headed by Prof. Dr. Ábrahám, where I focussed on the development of control strategies for hybrid electric vehicles as well as teaching activities. In September 2015, I started working at the Chair of Communication and Distributed Systems (COMSYS) in the network architectures group headed by Prof. Dr.-Ing. Wehrle, where I finished my master thesis in the domain of HTTP/2 in 2018. From May 2018 until April 2019, I lived in London and work as a Systems Engineer at Cloudflare. Currently, I am based in Cologne, Germany and work remotely as a Distributed Systems Engineer.
My interests include: distributed systems, web performance, browser networking, data-science, internet protocols, it-security and privacy, and evolutionary algorithms.
- Benedikt Wolters, David Kitchen, Alex Cruz Farmer, Andrew Galloni: Transparent inspection of responses from origin servers to identify protected data . US Patent No 10733307 (August 2020)
- Torsten Zimmermann, Benedikt Wolters, Klaus Wehrle, Oliver Hohlfeld: Is the Web ready for HTTP/2 Server Push? 14th International Conference on emerging Networking EXperiments and Technologies (ACM CoNEXT '18)
- Martin Henze, Benedikt Wolters, Roman Matzutt, Torsten Zimmermann, Klaus Wehrle: Distributed Configuration, Authorization and Management in the Cloud-based Internet of Things. 16th IEEE International Conference on Trust, Security and Privacy in Computing and Communications
- Torsten Zimmermann, Benedikt Wolters, Oliver Hohlfeld: A QoE Perspective on HTTP/2 Server Push. ACM SIGCOMM 2017 Workshop on QoE-based Analysis and Management of Data Communication Networks (Internet-QoE 2017)
- Torsten Zimmermann, Jan Rüth, Benedikt Wolters, Oliver Hohlfeld . How HTTP/2 Pushes the Web: An Empirical Study of HTTP/2 Server Push. IFIP NETWORKING'17)
- Johanna Nellen, Kai Driessen, Martin R. Neuhäußer, Erika Ábrahám, Benedikt Wolters: Two CEGAR-Based Approaches for the Safety Verification of PLC-Controlled Plants. Information Systems Frontiers 2016: 1-26.
- Sascha Geulen, Martina Josevski, Johanna Nellen, Janosch Fuchs, Lukas Netz, Benedikt Wolters, Dirk Abel, Erika Ábrahám, Walter Unger: Learning-based control strategies for hybrid electric vehicles. CCA 2015: 1722-1728
- Sascha Geulen, Martina Joševski, Johanna Nellen, Janosch Fuchs, Lukas Netz, Benedikt Wolters, Erika Ábrahám, Walter Unger, Dirk Abel. Online Lernen als Kontrollstrategie in Hybridfahrzeugen. 7th VDI/VDE Fachtagung AUTOREG: Auf dem Weg zum automatisierten Fahren , Baden-Baden , Germany , AUTOREG'15
- Johanna Nellen, Benedikt Wolters, Lukas Netz, Sascha Geulen, Erika Ábrahám: A Genetic Algorithm based Control Strategy for the Energy Management Problem in PHEVs. GCAI 2015: 196-214
- Johanna Nellen, Erika Ábrahám, Benedikt Wolters: A CEGAR Tool for the Reachability Analysis of PLC-Controlled Plants Using Hybrid Automata. Formalisms for Reuse and Systems Integration 2015: 55-78
- See also: dblp, google scholar, researchgate
I am the maintainer of the GeneiAL C++ Genetic Algorithm Library.
Moreover, I am involved in Internet-wide HTTP/2 measurements of netray.io.
Awards, Honors, and Certifications
- Master Thesis Award 2018, Fachgruppe Kommunikation und Verteilte Systeme (KuVS), Gesellschaft für Informatik e.V.
- 1st Place it-talents.de Code Competition December 2018
- Best Thesis Award 2017, Verein zur Förderung von Forschung und Lehre im Bereich Kommunikation und Verteilte Systeme (FOLKS e.V.)
- 1st Place it-talents.de Code Competition October 2017
- 3rd Place it-talents.de Code Competition February 2017
- Univention Absolventenpreis (Bachelor Thesis Award) 2016
- Google Security Hall of Fame 2011 / Google Vulnerability Reward Recipient
- Certified Scrum Master (Scrum Alliance)
- Certified Software Tester (ISTQB)
University Projects, Theses, and Seminars
- Master Thesis (2018): Demystifying the Performance of HTTP/2 Server Push
- Aachen 2025: Organ Challenge C++ Kinect Game, Demo [German]
- Medicine Project Thesis (2016): Robust Patient Pseudonym Extraction during Automatic Calibration in Low-Cost Photogrammetry, Thesis
- Research Focus Class on Communication Systems "Privacy under Attack" (2015): Online Crowdinvestments: Divestment of Privacy?
- Seminar Paper (2015): Structure-Based Comparison of Biomolecules, Seminar on Bioinformatics Algorithms, Slides
- Seminar Paper (2014): Connecting the IoT Opportunities for Using SDN and NFV to Realize Flexible LTE Network Architectures, Seminar on Mobile Internet Technology, Paper
- Bachelor Thesis (2014): Distributed Authorization Management for Secure Sensor Data in the Cloud
- Seminar Paper (2013): Bringing Healthcare to the Cloud Security and Privacy Challenges, Seminar on Advanced Internet Technology, Paper
- Proseminar (2011): The PageRank Algorithm, Proseminar on Datastructures and Algorithmns